How To Get Paint, Oil and Grease Out of Carpet-Easy If You Know How
To get paint, oil or grease out of carpet, you have to use a spot remover formulated for these kind of stains. As professionals in the cleaning business, we go with a product designed for the problem. Home remedies can be (are) a problem as I will explain later in this post.
Here are before & after pictures of some oil and grease spots in an off-white carpet:
The product we use is JohnsonDiversey Spot And Stain Remover
The nice thing about this product is it is designed to work with carpet fiber and rinse freely leaving NO residues. It also restores any stain resistance your carpet may have. This means after the stain is gone, the protective coating is restored back onto your carpet, therefore resisting any future spots.
As professionals in the cleaning business, we have used the Johnson products for years.
As a homeowner or apartment renter, don’t get me wrong, you are not in the carpet cleaning business, but why not use what the pro’s use and get the same results?
Easy Directions To Get Out Paint, Oil Or Grease From Your Carpet
1. Here is what you do. Get some absorbent terry cloth towels, that you can use to blot up spots with. Also, get a spray bottle and fill it with lukewarm water.
2. Apply the spot and stain remover to the area of the paint, oil or grease spot. Next, agitate the spotted area to get the chemicals working on the spot and penetrate the carpet fiber. Do this by using the edge of a putty knife or even a butter knife to work at loosening the spot from the carpet.
3. After a few minutes blot up the spot in your clean terry cloth towel. Work toward the middle of the spot so you do not spread it out and make it worse, and use your fist to push down hard on the towel, working the spot up into the cloth. Turn your cloth frequently to absorb the paint, oil or grease. You may need to use your putty knife or butter knife to scrape off globs of paint or heavy grease. Take your time and work at it, you can do it!
4. Rinse the spot by using your spray bottle of warm water to wet the area and blot up the excess with another clean terry cloth towel.
5. Repeat if necessary, otherwise, enjoy your clean, spot-free carpet!
A Word Of Caution About Home Remedies
Although home remedies using Dawn dish washing liquid or Tide might do part of the job, Dish washing liquids and laundry soap are designed to clean dishes, and laundry, not carpet fiber.
These products are not “free-rinsing” and the detergent and soap are very hard to rinse out of carpet where it stays trapped. In the long run what happens is these products cause a grey spot to appear in your carpet since the sticky dish washing liquid and laundry soaps attract more dirt because of the residue left behind.
Usually, when the grey spots appear, we get calls to come out and clean the carpet. This is because the soiled carpet is so dirty spot removal just doesn’t work anymore, so we have to use a steam cleaner to rinse out the dirt and residues.
Read What Others Have To Say
Don’t take my word for it. You can read an interesting testimonial in which someone who had paint in their carpet and used the Johnson product. They were surprised at the end results. You can read the testimonial at this link.
Please, leave your comment or question below about how this method has worked for you. Thanks!